This web site conforms to the current best practice standards for web page construction: HTML5
We would be interested to hear from you if you have problems viewing these web pages with any
reasonably up to date operating system or web browser, in which case contact us.
You will get an error reported if you validate the CSS using the link above. This is because the W3C validator
does not understand
calc(100% + 1px) (yet), but is supported by most browsers.
Best viewed with the FireFox web Browser
What does this web site run on ?
The machine that runs the web site:
- Is a Big V virtual host provided by Bytemark.
- Runs CentOS 6 which is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- The web server is Apache 2.2.
- The web pages are generated using the PHP scripting language.
- The Smarty Template Engine is used to separate display from appliation logic (MVC)
and enable component reuse.
- Some home grown wrapper programs invoked with Apache rewrite rules glue it all together.
Where possible once pages are generated they are saved to a hiden
.html file and
subsequently served directly by Apache.
Other web subsystems
- A specialised WikiPedia type knowledge base is managed with MediaWiki.
- Advanced Web Statistics gathering on the web sites awstats.
What else does the machine do ?
In addition to serving web pages, the machine: